San Diego Legal Separation Attorney
What Is the Difference Between Separation & Divorce?
If you and your spouse have started to run into marital issues, you may be wondering if divorce or separation may be the answer.
Legal separation is often most appropriate for couples who wish to work toward an eventual resolution or are not ready for the step of divorce. It may be the step that you and your spouse need to work out your issues.
At Gordon D. Cruse, APLC, our legal separation attorney often encourages our clients to pursue separation rather than filing for divorce right away.
Why Hire a Legal Separation Lawyer?
A lawyer can simplify the process of legal separation, taking care of the legalities so you don't have to. That includes walking you through all the steps and preparing the paperwork.
Gordon D. Cruse, APLC is prepared to handle virtually any issue that may arise during a separation. What's more, our San Diego legal separation attorney has more than 35 years of experience handling matters of family law and helping couples determine if they are ready to file for divorce.
Are you considering legal separation? Contact our San Diego legal separation attorney online or call us at (619) 431-4523 for a consultation.
What to Know About Legal Separation in San Diego, CA
In California, a legal separation is similar to a divorce, but it allows a couple to live separately and divide their assets and debts without ending their marriage. The process for filing for a legal separation is much like the process for filing for divorce.
Going through a legal separation requires discussing the same elements as in divorce, including:
Should I Choose Legal Separation or Divorce?
Many couples are often unsure of whether they should choose divorce or legal separation. Making this decision requires careful consideration of many personal and financial issues. For some couples, legal separation may be something they do to "take a break" from each other while others go through legal separation in preparation for an actual divorce.
Reasons to choose legal separation
- You can still maintain health insurance benefits and other benefits;
- You may still benefit from the tax advantages of filing as a married couple;
- Sharing the same household may be better financially;
- You can limit your financial liability if your spouse starts building up debt;
- Your religion looks down on divorce;
- You believe there is a chance of reconciliation in the future; or
- You have children and want to maintain the same lifestyle for them.
Reasons to choose divorce:
- You know for sure that your relationship is over and there is no chance of reconciliation;
- You feel that divorcing would make more sense for you financially rather than having to go through legal separation first; or
- You want to remarry and being legally separated will not allow you to do that.
Talk to an experienced legal separation attorney to help you decide the right avenue for your family.
Call a San Diego Legal Separation Lawyer
If you have decided legal separation is right for you or you would like to discuss your options with a legal separation attorney from our team, turn to us for a consultation. We would be pleased to meet with you to discuss what you can expect from the process and learn about your goals.
You can rely on our San Diego legal separation lawyer to be there for you and offer you the support you need to get through this time.
Our Lawyer Will Personally Handle Your Case
Backed By 35+ Years Of Experience
We Have Extensive Trial Experience
Certified California State Bar Specialist