San Diego Child Custody Lawyer
Protecting Your Child's Best Interest
One of the most contested and sensitive issues in divorce cases we deal with is that of child custody. Dealing with divorce is difficult enough, but having to explain to your child that their living situation will be changed can be very hard on everyone involved.
It can be troubling for you, your spouse, and your children to have to adjust to these types of major changes. However, the first step is to decide who will have primary physical custody and who will be responsible for legal decisions.
Our experienced San Diego child custody lawyer can provide you with the emotional support and representation you need on your side. At Gordon D. Cruse, APLC, we understand all of the various factors which can affect child custody and child support decisions.
Types of Child Custody in California
- Sole legal custody: When one parent has the right to make all major decisions regarding a child's health, education, and lifestyle issues.
- Joint legal custody: When both parents must make decisions together on the child's upbringing
- Sole physical custody: The child lives with one parent while the other parent will usually have visitation time
- Joint physical custody: The child divides time living with both parents throughout the year.
How is Child Custody Determined in San Diego?
While it is always better to make decisions between you and your spouse outside of court to avoid putting the choice in the judge's hands, this is not always possible. If you and your spouse cannot make a decision, you will need a child custody attorney in San Diego that has experience handling contested child custody cases to represent you in court and ensure your child's best interest is kept in mind.
California courts decide child custody arrangements based on a variety of factors, such as:
- The age of the children
- The preference of the children
- Each parent's relationship with the children
- The parents' financial situations
- The parenting abilities of each party
- Willingness of each parent to cooperate
Judges prefer arrangements that can provide a stable and healthy environment for the child. If you are constantly moving or have not established a strong bond with your child, show that you are actively participating in your child's life and are interested in developing a strong relationship with them.
Fighting for Your Rights as a Parent in San Diego
Our San Diego child custody attorney understands how much is at stake and we are here to fight for your right to have custody over your children and to help determine father's rights. It is important that you have a trustworthy and approachable family lawyer to work with you and keep your goals in mind at all times.
Contact our San Diego child custody attorneys now at (619) 431-4523 to learn how we can help and to make an appointment for a consultation.
Our Lawyer Will Personally Handle Your Case
Backed By 35+ Years Of Experience
We Have Extensive Trial Experience
Certified California State Bar Specialist